Aviation Accidents & Wrongful Death Lawsuits
Aviation travel is inherently dangerous, and while the odds of being in a plane crash are slim, when accidents happen they tend to be catastrophic. If a loved one was killed in a plane crash, or any other type of aviation accident, you might be eligible to seek compensation via a wrongful death lawsuit.
Wrongful death lawsuits are cases that allow surviving family members the ability to sue the negligent parties that contributed to the death of their loved one. Negligence refers to reckless actions or a lack of regard for safety procedures.
While large commercial airliner crashes get the most attention, the majority of plane crashes involve small aircraft. These can include private planes, chartered flights, corporate jets, and helicopter crashes.
Common Causes of Aviation Crashes
There are several factors that can lead to a fatal plane crash, including (but not limited to):
- Pilot error – A pilot’s failure to exercise proper care is often associated with plane and helicopter crashes. In private aviation, inadequate training and inexperience dealing with harsh weather conditions often lead to accidents. Substance abuse and sleep deprivation can also sometimes play a role.
- Maintenance problems – private aircraft are not held to the same standards of routine maintenance that keep commercial airliners relatively safe. Problems can often be overlooked or corners cut on repairs.
- Defective design or parts – Defective parts or flaws in design can cause metal fatigue, mechanical error, and failures in other critical areas.
- Instrument failure – the failure of communication devices, altimeters, or guidance systems can lead to disaster.
- Wing icing – Ice on the wings can often bring down a plane; negligence can include failure to use de-icing measures or failing to recognize the signs of iced wings.
Contact an Aviation Wrongful Death Attorney
The shock of losing a loved one in a plane crash is traumatic. Discovering that it could have been prevented only adds to the trauma. When someone’s negligence or reckless actions are responsible for the death of your loved one, you deserve to be compensated.
Aviation wrongful death lawsuits can involve complex issues of liability and extensive investigations. Only a skilled and experienced plane crash lawyer will be able to help you get the compensation you need.